Hoodoo and The Bible

Lord, I wonder what's has got the matter
Wit' time, you know, wit' time
It seems like the hours
Oh, everything done changed

But I hold up my hand
I'm just tryin' t'make her understand
Lord, you know, everybody tells Little Junior
That somebody done hoodooed the hoodoo man

Now, I'm goin' down to Louisiana
An' get me a mojo hand
My little woman
She done quit me for some other man

Junior Wells — Hoodoo Man Blues lyrics


Hoodoo has always been close to my heart. I too practice this form of magic. Hoodoo is often confused with Voodoo, and the two are very different, like apples and oranges. Often people dont think of Hoodoo as a magical practice at all, some think of it as pure nonsense. Thinking its practitioners superstitious, and the practice not worthy. That can be further from the truth. I would like to share some information on the subject, hopefully this will enlighten someone to the practice. This is going to be one of many I hope to post on a subject that I love!

Some History...Hoodoo and the Bible

Hoodoo is often called Conjure or Root Working, a form of African American 'folk magic' melded with Native American and European practices. Hoodoo began with slaves in the deep south. Now Hoodoo has spread in all directions. The practice is often handed down from family member to family member. Myself, I wish that I could afford a copy of Hyatt's books. Hyatt wanted to document the practice from not only practitioners, but from former slaves themselves. Which to me is an invaluable resource. To me, you can get no further to the source.
Hoodoo has a close relationship to the Bible. Yes, thats right the Bible. Often using and Psalms and passages from the Old Testament. Many think that the greatest Hoodoo manual is the Bible its self. Many would think that as blasphemy, but it isnt so. Which Psalms and verses were used where, varied from practitioner to practitioner. These words were faithfully recited over candles and sickbeds, remedies and mojos, as well as other charms. Certainly, some were used in connection with roots, herbs, and other medicinal and special items. It is said that many cures are brought about by trees, roots, and herbs, but powerful cures are brought about by Word of God. Sometimes more than one of the Psalms or verses would be used with others.

A wonderful reference on this can be found at This great site..
Many such as Zora Neale Hurston, who wrote in her book,"Moses: man Of The Mountain", that Moses was 'the finest Hoodoo man in the world'. Obviously Moses and magic appear in the Bible, with Moses and the Pharaoh where Moses preformed miracles, freed the slaves from oppression, and many other things that would make one believe in the power of Moses. Which led to the use of "The Sixth and Seventh Seals of Moses" being a staple in a practitioner's belongings.

Above all oils, potions, barks or roots, stands The Bible and all of the magic it beholds.

I got my mojo working, but it just don't work on you
I got my mojo working, but it just don't work on you
I want to love you so bad, 'till I just don't know what to do

I'm going down to Louisiana, to get me a mojo hand
I'm going down to Louisiana, to get me a mojo hand
I'm gonna have all you women, get you under my command


Muddy Waters - Got My Mojo Workin'

Many Blessings!
~Gypsy Come Join The Fun At The Pagan Blog Project!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gypsymagiq/6807796558/in/photostream

Blogger Wordpress Gadgets Twitter Bird Gadget